Monday, August 1, 2022

Small Group Reading Time!


Small reading groups is different in the beginning of the year for Kinders than it is for most first - third grade classrooms. In Kindergarten (actually in all grades) you have to make sure each child feels comfortable with you, but also can follow the rules. If they can't follow the rules in most classrooms, they can't fully benefit from the teacher's instruction. Also if they do not feel comfortable with their teacher, they also won't fully benefit from instruction.

All of the above is why I like to start out with 'cozy' small groups with my Kinders. From day one I try let each child know that I am their teacher and their friend. I also have to let them understand that all of us are like a big family in a small room and we need to know the rules and try our best to follow them. In a small group setting there are rules that each student needs to follow so that there is no 'down' time while you are constantly getting a child to follow the directions. 

I have always started out small groups with a very nurturing attitude while patiently showing how to track, how to quickly follow your classmates so that you will know you turn. I have my favorite books (cold reads not books we read in whole group) that I love to start small groups with. These books and activities are not difficult, in fact they are very easy to some students. There are always early learners that know nothing about how to academically read a book. 

 One of my favorite books to use in the beginning of each year is Mouse Can See Leaves. It is usually the beginning of fall when I am ready to start small groups. This book is just perfect to start learning how small groups operate! 

I add lots more activities as the months go by, but first I take my time and my Kinders enjoy our special time together. The book is about a cute little mouse that sees leaves. That's it. In the end he is covered up by leaves and it is always fun to see Kinders reactions to this. We practice tracking with our finger (later I will use witches fingers and other gimmicks.) We also practice taking turns and tracking while our classmates are reading. With many Kinders they can not read the words but they can track along while I slowly read the sentences. We discuss what a sentence is (I have the sentence strips all cut out and ready.)

This is the cover of Mouse Can See Leaves. Isn't that the cutest mouse! This year I added an Easel activity that I know beginning of the year Kinders will enjoy. Nothing is so hard that they feel discouraged or lose confidence in their abilities. I did add audio, my voice..... to the Easel. I don't think anyone likes to hear themselves reading. But Kinders are also very forgiving and will love you and your voice very soon. 

The lesson plan is exactly what Kinders need at this time. They will begin with Phonics and PA and quickly go into the Vocabulary Words for the story. The Phonics and Vocabulary activities are very simple. The focus will be one getting students to sit in a small group and follow instructions. I want them to smile and have fun, but small groups have to be intense at times. If they are prepared and know what to do from the beginning, they will love this time with their teacher.

For books like this, I always include a class book that can be printed out full page size and then just use ring clips to bind if after laminating. I put this in our library after a week of reading the stories. Most of my students can read this or just remember the sequence of the words after our week of small group. I have two different black and white copies of this book. One is bold letters like you see above with tracing only for certain story words. The other is fully traceable. Early learners can trace the words even if their handwriting isn't what it will be in a few months. And if they mess the book up trying, that is okay also. 

More on this tomorrow! I just realized the time. School will be starting soon, such an exciting time! By the way, my store is on sale August 2nd and 3rd. TPT will have their Back to School sale. Whatever you purchase, remember to use the code BTS22 to get up to 25% off on all purchases. 

Pam








No comments:

Post a Comment